CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Thunder over Louisville

The Kentucky Derby is a big deal here in Kentucky. Kinda like the Indianapolis 500 in Indy. Thunder over Louisville starts the 2 week long festival leading up to the Derby. People go and camp out on the lawn down by the river and wait all day for the show to start. There is an air show from 3-8 and then fireworks at 9:30. I have been told that these fireworks are the best I'll ever see. They set them off on one of the bridges and also have fireworks on barges. Well, I really wasn't excited to go and wait around all day with the crowds of people. Maybe if it was just me and my husband, but I didn't figure my kids would think it was very fun. And it was really cold, rainy, and windy. So we just decided to see how close we could get without getting into too many crowds. There is a road that follows the river that has a few parks that we could possibly park at. We hopped in the car around 8 pm and Charlotte fell asleep right away. We drove down River Road, I saw a perfect spot to stop, and my husband kept on driving...Grrr...I'm not gonna lie, I was a little mad. I didn't want to go any further. He kept driving and driving...we ended up right downtown by the bridge. There wasn't a big crowd, but I didn't want to park and walk because 1. Charlotte was asleep. 2. There weren't a lot of people, but there were a lot of drunks 3. I didn't want to fight the crowd afterwards. 4.Did I mention it was cold and windy and a little drizzly?? Maybe if the weather had been nicer, but I just wanted to go back to the spot I had picked out earlier. My husband finally got the hint (it wasn't really a hint, I straight up told him what I wanted)and we EVENTUALLY got back to the original spot I had picked out earlier with no time to spare. The fireworks had already started. We didn't have the best view, since we couldn't actually see the bridge or the barges but the kids didn't really care. Oh yeah, Charlotte woke up in time to see the fireworks. I was really worried she wouldn't go back to sleep when we got home, but no fear! She fell right back asleep when we started driving home. So did Brooke! Score!!

Yes, Brooke is on top of the car. She saw some other kids doing it and wanted to do it too.

We didn't take pictures until the end and this isn't a very good one. But, it just shows how much the sky lit up every time the fireworks went off.


Here is what it actually looks like if you're up close and personal. Maybe next year....

No comments:

Thanks for stopping by! Come back soon!